Celebrate Canada Agriculture Day – Tuesday February 23
Next Tuesday is a special day in Canada. It’s the sixth annual Canada Agriculture Day. February 23 brings special attention to our agricultural industry and the pride Canadian farmers share in growing food. We’ve pulled together a number of resources to help you celebrate Canadian agriculture in engaging and fun ways on Tuesday and throughout the week.
Alberta Land Institute (ALI)
The Alberta Land Institute sponsors and conducts research to support and enhance land use policy in Alberta. We have a history in Agriculture research. From our pioneering work on land use and property management, to the fragmentation of agriculture land, we have a number of research studies about Agriculture in Alberta. Check out our research related to Agriculture.
Soil Health – an ALI area of study
Do Albertans care about soil health? Regenerative agriculture, climate smart agriculture and conservation agriculture are management practices associated with higher soil quality. Alberta’s resilience in the face of economic and climate-related threats is directly related to the quality of our soil. ALI’s latest research study aims to strengthen public policy, amplify scientific knowledge, and improve producer practices in the area of soil health. Learn more about our Soil Health project.
Future ALI research efforts and collaboration
Later this year (spring 2021), ALI will be issuing our Call for Proposal. If you would like to be alerted for the request to submit, please send us a request. The theme of the call in 2021 has been identified as Soil Health and Policy. ALI intends to take stock of sustainable agriculture efforts in Alberta and their impacts on soil conservation in the province. Our research will highlight ways in which the current regulatory and policy environment facilitates or hinders sustainable agriculture in the province. Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to contact ALI’s Research Director to discuss the suitability and scope of the proposal prior to formal submission.
Participate in special live Canada Agriculture Day events on Feb. 23, 2021
Canada’s version of Agriculture Day started in 2016 and was launched as a day of celebration for Canadian farmers. This year, there’s a number of online events planned across the country to celebrate Canada Agriculture Day in 2021:
- (paid) Throughout the week (Feb 22-26), the Living Soils Symposium is hosting a virtual conference on water
- (free) Canada Food: A World of Opportunity – a virtual fireside chat with Agriculture More than Ever
- (free) Bentley Lecture in Sustainable Agriculture - Innovation to Sustainably Intensify Agriculture in the Global South with Dr. Ruben Echeverría
- (free) Agriculture in the Classroom is launching The Real Dirt on Farming in the Classroom education experience. They’re hosting live virtual farm tours for schools – register your classroom to participate.
- (free) Celebrity Cook Along with Celebrity Chef Randle - cook a BC Inspired Thai Chicken Curry (or vegan alternate - BC Inspired Thai Vegan Curry) and Baked Lemon Pudding with BC Blueberry Compote
- (free) Ballads, Brews and Moos - Cattlemen’s Association & Great Western Brewery present the award-winning documentary Guardians of the Grasslands and a performance by Colter Wall.
Cooking with Canadian-produced food products
Let’s raise a fork to the food we love and the people who produce it. Canadian farmers produce among the safest, high-quality food that feeds our country and the world. Let’s honour this delicious food by cooking Canadian.
- Enjoy Alberta on the Plate’s recipe of the month – a Boneless Braised Beef Shank
- In their Winterlude online experience, Canada Agriculture and Food Museum shares winter time recipes, including a raspberry vinegar tea recipe memorably created by Mabel Bell, Alexander Graham Bell’s wife.
- Half Your Plate shares five recipes with Canadian ingredients. We're especially excited about the grilled sweet potato and chick pea salad recipe.
- Manitoba farms chicken recipes
- Get Crackin' egg recipes from the Egg Farmers of Canada
- Check out Regeneration Canada’s map of regenerative farms in Canada
Get Social in your support
On February 23, 2021, celebrate Canadian agriculture and food both online and with friends, family and co-workers. If you’re participating in a Canada Agriculture Day event, use the hashtag: #CdnAgDay
Fork up and Cook Canadian are two of the social experiences you can use to share your Canadian agriculture support - Agriculture More Than Ever has free social downloads you can use to place on your social accounts.
Join ALI to let your friends and family know how you feel about Canadian Agriculture industry.